One day, I found myself debugging a very wierd situation with a CGI script that I was maintaining. The CGI script processes Chinese characters, and only on very rare occasion that it fails mysteriously. I double and triple-checked for all possible error handling, to no avail. After spending many hours, I decided that the problem only surfaces under Internet Explorer (my version is 6.0) and when a HTML form has the
multipart/form-data enctype attribute, and one of the textfields in it contains the character
―. When the form is submitted, IE would send the HTTP request, but with the first CGI parameter corrupted.
I tried submitting a problem report to Microsoft here, but all I got after filling in the tedious form, is this:
We’re sorry, we were unable to service your request. As an option, you may visit any of the pages below for information about Microsoft services and products.
I tried submitting again today and the same thing happened. So I decided to post it here.
You can test if your version of IE has this bug by going to http://dready.org/cgi-bin/iebug.pl and submitting the form.
If you could let me know your results by posting a comment here, that’d be great.