Archive for June, 2004

If you’re not using Mozilla/Firefox

Wednesday, June 30th, 2004

What are you, nuts? I should ask, who are you? I don’t get it, with GAPING security problems such as this and this, why haven’t you switched to Mozilla or Firefox?

Like many, I have gone through many rounds of browsers switching. Until 2 years ago, when I decided that I had it with IE and settled on Netscape 7 almost exclusively. The only time IE gets to run is when I visit retarded sites like this (but I’m glad they’re few and far between, thanks to the folks at

Do me a favour, make the switch now, and get the Mouse Gesture extension for maximum productivity.

I Love Hacking

Friday, June 18th, 2004

I can spend hours, even days or months if the project is interesting enough, the more challenging the better.

Created this section to file hacks of my own, as well as interesting ones that I discover elsewhere. I would also post up any ideas of interesting hacks, so people can comment on or pick up and develop further. This sort of thing would probably be better off in a Wiki, but I don’t have time to install one yet (actually, two weeks ago I found one that belongs to a old abandoned project in my cgi-basement.)

Of course, viWord and IDN-OSS gets a mention here since they are technically hacks. (They each have their own section under the Projects hierarchy.)

BugMeNot, Let Me In!

Saturday, June 12th, 2004

My dear friend, these are real time savers, so take time to learn to use it (don’t laugh, time-saving tricks do take time to learn, i can only help by explaining how to use them). Introducing…


I chanced upon while browsing for projects in where I found the BugMeNot extension for Mozilla, which links you to the page to retrieves a pair of username and password that lets you access a password-protected page that you are browsing (those that require free registration, but you’re not interested in wasting time and effort to fill in their stupid form, and even if you do, you’ll stuff some junk into the text boxes anyway.) Here’s how it works…

Install this bookmarklet (Right click, and Add To Favourites or Bookmark This Link, call it BugMeNot!). Whenever you arrive at one of those irritating sites (site #1, site #2) telling you to “register for free in order to view the full article”, click on the bookmarklet that you just added, if the site is in the BugMeNot database, you’d see something similar to this, use the username and password to access the site. That’s it! At the time of this writing, BugMeNot claims to have 4397 sites “liberated”, HAHA!

So I was reading the FAQ on (I love reading those things!) where I found – a free service that lets you conjure up any email address ending with on the fly, then check for mails that arrive there. Picture this: you arrive at yet another register-before-you-download-our-free-trial site (we will then send you an email with the download link/password in it), you try to see if BugMeNot has something for you, nope. You go to the registration page, stuff in something like in the email address field, fill in asdf for the rest and submit away. Then, go to and wait for the email (Note: Mailinator FAQ says that mails are deleted every few hours.) Once you’ve done that, don’t forget to go back to to share your username and password :)

At the moment, however, the BugMeNot extension really isn’t worth downloading, because it doesn’t provide much more than what you can do with the bookmarklet. Well, it does add itself to the context menu of the page you are browsing so you don’t have to search for it in the plugin folder.

Blog is being upgraded.

Monday, June 7th, 2004

Just upgraded bBlog to version 0.7.3. Lots of new features. Loving it…

Since the template format is not quite compatible with the old version (0.6), I’m forced to use the default template for now.. which is much better than the old version’s default, so I’m happy to live with it for a while until my new templates are baked.

Oh, and I just installed Zeitgeist too =)

Bug in IE?

Thursday, June 3rd, 2004

One day, I found myself debugging a very wierd situation with a CGI script that I was maintaining. The CGI script processes Chinese characters, and only on very rare occasion that it fails mysteriously. I double and triple-checked for all possible error handling, to no avail. After spending many hours, I decided that the problem only surfaces under Internet Explorer (my version is 6.0) and when a HTML form has the multipart/form-data enctype attribute, and one of the textfields in it contains the character . When the form is submitted, IE would send the HTTP request, but with the first CGI parameter corrupted.

I tried submitting a problem report to Microsoft here, but all I got after filling in the tedious form, is this:

We’re sorry, we were unable to service your request. As an option, you may visit any of the pages below for information about Microsoft services and products.

I tried submitting again today and the same thing happened. So I decided to post it here.

You can test if your version of IE has this bug by going to and submitting the form.
If you could let me know your results by posting a comment here, that’d be great.